Home Page Forums MAMPS General Questions Early birth at 24weeks Reply To: Early birth at 24weeks

• Kate Levett

Instructor
    June 1, 2021 at 1:01 am

Hi Brodie

Sorry if I’m repeating myself, but I said something similar in a post in response to Ciara’s hidden abruption post.

The main contributing factor to placental abruption is anaemia in the western context. I have copy and pasted with the RAZCOG say with regard to optimal haemoglobin ranges for the prevention of adverse outcomes below (including abruption).

So, if your clients have persistent anaemia, perhaps encourage them to address this with medical professionals, and focus on the St36, BL17 moxa treatments to supplement. Thoughts anyone?

What I notice with the Western associations noted below for anaemia is not only abruption but post natal depression, which is what we see in the TCM blood deficiency picture.

Also, haemorrhage is the leading cause of maternal death world wide, and anaemia is associated with a higher risk of haemorrhage. In developing nations, this is mainly due to malnutrition due to lower food intake, but in Western countries malnutrition may be associated with a lack of balanced nutrition, or poor gut absorption etc.

So, always good to keep a close eye on the early and persistent anaemia clients.

4.1.2 The optimal haemoglobin range

There is evidence indicating an association between maternal anaemia and adverse pregnancy
    outcomes, including:

• low birth weight and preterm birth when mothers are anaemic in the first or second trimester96

• placental abruption,97 maternal mortality98 and postnatal depression.99

Studies that have generated this evidence have used the statistical definitions of anaemia outlined
    above; however, many confounding factors are present. A more specific Hb range that results in optimal
    maternal and perinatal outcomes (other than absence of statistically determined anaemia) has not been
    established. In light of evidence that higher Hb levels may also be associated with adverse pregnancy
    outcomes,100 it would seem reasonable to assume that normal pregnancy haemoglobin levels lie between
    103 and 146 g/L.