• Lorie Dechar

January 8, 2022 at 9:12 am

Dearest Kate! I am delighted to be expanding the scope of our already expansive work together and am so very glad that you will be joining us for this year’s wild alchemical ride.

I appreciate your consideration regarding the question of how to make acupuncture more accessible. I agree that the answer is probably not “volunteerism” which smacks of outmoded paternalistic attitudes. Lowering fees and bartering are strategies which can work on a limited basis but sacrificing our own well-being as practitioners working on an hour-to-hour fee model while the mainstream economy continues to drain resources from the collective is unsustainable. This is one of the questions I would love to keep bubbling in our group cauldron over the coming year. I KNOW there are sustainable solutions to this problem but they are going to have to be creative and unconventional. In the words of my mentor Bayo Akomalafe, the new possibilities will have to come from the “CRACKS” in the system, from places of fugitivity, rather than from any already existing mainstream practices.

I love that you have brought this consideration forward, Kate, and I look forward to exploring it further with you this year … along with lots of other questions and topics!

Lorie