MemberApril 1, 2022 at 3:42 am
I have some questions.
Are her providers sure she has retained placenta with confirmation via sx or ultrasound?
Are there plans to remove the piece?
Is she being monitored for infection?
I guess in my experience with this that primary care providers generally are very proactive in getting the retained piece out if they know there is one present and in ordering ultrasound and getting follow up care if there is any uncertainty at the time of the birth that the entire placenta was not expelled. I’d be interested to hear more about decision making with her primary care team.
I think for me, just where I am with my current learning and comfort level, I would probably be in touch with her primary care and move very cautiously with my treatments just because of the risk of hemorrhage – which can be dramatic and happen spontaneously. Interested to hear what others think about this. I’m not clear what my role would be here as an acupuncturist, though it sounds like Debra has had a positive experience.